Bus accidents can be very serious because the passengers are often thrown around inside of the bus and can collide with many different objects and surfaces. They are rarely minor affairs. For that reason, if you have been the victim of a bus accident and have suffered serious injuries, you need to contact an L.A. bus accident lawyer.
Liability issues in bus accidents are extremely complicated because buses are often owned by government entities. You will need a personal injury lawyer to handle the case. Other buses are owned by private companies, schools and tour operations.
Liability for bus accidents
Buses and their owners are liable for personal injuries to passengers, so your L.A. accident attorney will file a claim against the bus company to get you the compensation that you deserve. If the bus is owned by a private company, the accident is usually considered to be the driver’s fault.
If the bus is owned by a government entity, however, then the government may grant immunity to a bus driver. That means that the bus itself will have to be found liable for personal injuries. That can involve questioning the vehicle’s maintenance and safety record.
Bus accident causes
Bus accidents can be caused by driver negligence, speeding, poor maintenance, dangerous roadways, faulty emergency exits and driver error. An L.A. bus accident lawyer will work hard to make sure that the victims are compensated for their injuries and losses, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and emotional distress. In extreme cases, personal injury lawyers win compensation for wrongful deaths.
What to do after a bus accident
To give your claim the best chance at success, follow these steps:
- Visit a doctor, even if you feel “okay.” You might discover that you have internal injuries that will not reveal themselves until later. Bus accidents often involve an impact with a seat, another person or the roof and floor of the bus, perfect conditions for internal injuries. Have the doctor file each medical evaluation of your injuries. Your lawyer can use these evaluations to argue for your proper compensation.
- Don’t talk to anyone about the accident other than the law enforcement officers.
- Contact an experienced L.A. bus accident lawyer who will decide how to proceed and which lawsuits should be filed. This should be done quickly because government-related cases have short time limits for filing a claim.
- Record as much information as possible at the accident scene. Get the contact information for people involved in the accident and any witnesses. Make a copy of the information to hand off to your lawyer for further investigation.
- Do not sign any papers presented to you by any parties other than your lawyer, including any insurance companies. This will protect you and eliminate complications in the lawsuit.
Contact a bus accident attorney for a free consultation if you have been the victim in an accident. Get the compensation that you deserve through the assistance of an excellent personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles. Bus accidents are no fun and can become complicated affairs. Get the help you need to win your legal battles.