The mere size of trucks indicates that when they collide with another vehicle, the other vehicle will get the worst of the impact. Truck accidents often result in more serious consequences than a mere fender-bender. Many times when you see a news report of a fatality in an accident, a truck has been involved.
These serious truck accidents might have caused you and your family a great deal of pain. You might be facing huge medical bills, significant property damage and severe trauma as a result of a collision with a truck. You could be facing a pile of bills and difficult negotiations with your insurance company and you don’t know where to turn.
That’s when an L.A. personal injury lawyer can step in and give you the help that you need when you need it most. If you have been involved in a truck accident and have serious injuries, or if you have even lost a loved one as a result of a truck accident, contact an L.A. personal injury attorney.
No matter how severe your injuries are, it can be very difficult to interact with the insurance company, which wants to settle quickly and cheaply and guard its profit margin. You will need to file a lawsuit with the help of an L.A. truck accident lawyer to prevent the company from taking advantage of you. Truck accidents can result in claims such as personal injury, wrongful death, product liability and negligence.
Compensation for personal injuries
If you were not at complete fault after a truck accident (in many cases the fault is partly or completely the truck driver’s), you have the right to be compensated for your injuries by filing a lawsuit against the driver at fault to cover all of your costs and the damages incurred.
Compensation for wrongful death caused by a truck accident
Some truck accidents unfortunately result in the death of victims involved. No price tag can be attached to someone’s life, of course, but an L.A. injury lawyer can ensure that the bereaved receive appropriate compensation. Only a lawyer can handle a wrongful death victims’ case.
Causes of truck accidents
Truck accidents occur for a variety of reasons, ranging from poor maintenance to brake failure or flat tires; the driver’s negligence; failure to follow signs and speeding; driver under the influence of drugs and alcohol; distraction from texting or talking on a phone; the huge blind spot that trucks have, even overloaded or improperly balanced trucks.
What to do if you are involved in a truck accident
- Get a copy of the police report. If you are not seriously injured, wait for the police to come to the scene and ask for a full report.
- Record the truck driver’s and witnesses’ contact information, including license number and insurance company information.
- Do not talk to anyone except your lawyer about the accident. Whatever you say to anyone else might be used against you and could complicate your lawsuit.
- Do not sign any papers for a settlement with the insurance company. Wait for your personal injury attorney and explain your situation to him or her.
- Gather as much evidence as possible, including pictures of the damaged truck and the injured victims, including you.
- See a medical physician for an examination, even if you feel unhurt. You may have internal injuries that can cause pain in the long term. You can use your doctor’s examination to verify injuries; this will help during the trial.
Finally, you want to seek out an experienced personal injury attorney in Los Angeles who has handled such cases. S/he will guide you on what to do and work hard to get you the compensation that is rightly yours.